Chicken & Veg Stir Fry
This recipe is full of exotic flavours and packed full of nutrients. Stir frying retains much of the nutrient goodness of the vegetables. A variety of phytoestrogens is provided by edamame beans, broccoli, mushrooms and beansprouts.
If you don’t have a wok, then invest on one. Stir fry is very easy, great for any vegetable, and perfect for those lingering in the fridge that you do not know what to do with. Through them all into a wok, with some seasoning and revive them.
- Prep Time15 min
- Cook Time15 min
- Total Time30 min
- Ready in30 min
- Serving SizeServes 2-4
- 2 Tbsp Avocado Oil (or vegetable, olive, coconut oil)
- 2 cm fresh ginger thinly slices (about 2 Tbsp)
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 fresh chilli pepper, crushed
- 1 red onion sliced
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 Tbsp teriyaki or soy sauce
- 200 g snow peas (mangetout beans)
- 200g edamame beans (frozen or can)
- 1 small head broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 yellow bell pepper, julienned
- 200 g bok choi or pak choi
- 225 g or 1 small can water chestnuts
- handful shiitake mushrooms (or any mushrooms)
- 2 sprigs spring onions, chopped for garnish
- 2 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
- cracked black pepper
- 1 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
Marinate chicken with teriyaki sauce, 2 cloves crushed garlic, chilli pepper and black pepper.
Whilst chicken is marinating get all the vegetables prepped.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in wok or saucepan on high heat. Add chicken breast with all marinade.
Turn when golden brown to other side about two minutes on each side. Finish cooking chicken breast in oven at 180°F (about 350˚C) until cooked through about 20 minutes. Note if using chicken cubes there is no need to bake in oven.
Heat remaining oil at high heat in wok or sauce pan. Add remaining ginger and onions. Stir fry for one minute then add garlic. Start adding the vegetables always with the hardest ones first starting with the snow peas. Add all the vegetables and stir fry on high heat for 3-5 minutes, stirring continuously. Season with black pepper.
Add the oyster sauce and sesame oil. Stir fry for one minute until heated through. Remove from heat. Divide into portions and top with chicken. Drizzle any marinade from chicken and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and spring onions.